Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Creativity

I'm an artist. As an artist, I draw inspiration from every thing. I see what others do, I am inspired. I hear, I am inspired. I read, I am inspired. In the art world, there is this weird idea that derivative works are theft unless you admit they are derived from someone specific. How do you that? I might have seen something thirty years ago that bubbles up to lend an aspect to something I create today. I'm a compulsive reader, I read probably 300 books a year. Some of those are all words, some are art books, some are a mix of words and images. All that sinks into my brain and percolates. It might inspire immediate response, as this post was inspired by this TED talk. It might simmer for a week or a year, or decades, before bubbling up to influence my words, actions, creations.

I rarely sign my work. I have friends who fuss at me about that - how can I ever get famous if I don't sign my work? My answer is that I am only the conduit, I'm not the art. Ideas float around and some of them enter my head. The only way to get them out of my head is to make them. I might envision one thing, but part way through the creation, the creation takes over and becomes what It wants to be. It develops a voice, a way of moving, a personality that I experience whenever I see it (or read it). That's not my creation, any more than the child you gave life to is your creation. I am only the conduit.

One of the things I love about now, the 21st century I live in, is that art has exploded. Art is every where. Art is The Field. Writers are every where. Artists, musicians, makers of things. In this world, people get an idea and they must create. What brought that about? The internet, computers, global access to inspiration. Disney might get tetchy over someone using a clip from Snow White, but Disney did not create that story, they used it. Can you imagine Shakespeare rising up to protest West Side Story?

When I create something, it is my iteration of a previous concept. I deserve to profit from my iteration. When Harvey comes along, takes a snippet of what I made and uses it within his expression, Harvey deserves to profit from his iteration. I'm not talking about painting portraits of Disney's Snow White and selling them, I'm talking about using her withing a larger framework, such as plopping her image into a stark photograph of a crackhouse to make a new iteration, to express an idea in a way that highlights a concept. If Harvey took my creation and passed it off as entirely his own, Harvey would be wrong. However, if Harvey photographs my sculpture, takes it into photoshop and alters it, then makes the mouth move to a mash up of 'I Feel Pretty' and 'Born This Way', I say Go Harvey, you ROCK! It's nice that Harvey gave credit to me for the sculpture, and to the recording artists for the music. That gives us all a little more exposure. It might make some one look up 'I feel pretty' and expose them to something new. It might inspire someone to be who they are, instead of who they have been told to be. And along the way, Harvey - and the millions of 21st century artists inspired by current technology - has put together something that was not 'drempt of in your philosophy, Horatio.' They have expanded consciousness, awakened awareness, invoked wonder.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if anything I have ever done has been inspired by anyone that I have ever known or read? Then I remember that everything I have ever read ever said or even done has always been inspired by history. If I am ever accused of pauperism in anyway then I shall be guilty because I come from the rich history that makes me who (or whom I am depending on the education that makes you). Therefore I take not; I use what works for me. Pam Crick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I'll talk about something I think is important and then a few days later, something directly related will be in the news or in a book I read, or just overheard on the street. In this post, I used remixing and Disney as part of my explanation. In this TED talk (http://www.ted.com/talks/lessig_nyed.html )Disney is the example.
    In another post, I talked about simultaneous discoveries, trying to get to the concept of synchronous thought, the idea that thoughts fill the air at particular times, and particular minds absorb those thoughts simultaneously. I think I just phrased that better here, but I find the discovery of the 'Remix' TED talk to be a fine example of what I meant. One TED talk led me to express my views on both creativity and copyright, another comes along a few hours later to express similar points in a much more global way.

    To me, this is proof that we are all connected, to each other and to the source of creativity.

    ReplyDelete