Monday, December 12, 2011

Funny Books!: Sweet Potato Queens, Stephanie Plum, and every thingTerry Pratchet has ever written


God save the Sweet Potato Queens Jill Connor Browne, 2001, Three Rivers Press

Here's my advice: If it says Sweet Potato Queen anywhere in the title, and Jill Connor Browne somewhere on the cover. Get it, read it, love it, pass it on! This woman is hilarious. I suspect that a lot of men might be utterly baffled by her books, but most women will join me in the floor with side splitting laughter and tears rolling down aching cheeks. I was still in chapter one and I wanted to go out and organize a parade just so I could personally experience that level of uninhibited fun!
The Sweet Potato Queen's stories remind me of my own stories, bringing to mind some of those wonderfully hilarious events - the sort that can still make your ribs ache even 20 years after the fact. Letters from readers that are so funny, I had to call my sister to read them to her. (Because, yes, they reminded me of some of her stories -especially the projectile vomit slide story! And wouldn't you like to know?)
GO! Get any of the books by Jill Connor Browne. Read 'em and weep (tears of laughter!)

More? Get the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich.  Start with "One for the Money", there are at least 18 now, in numerical order. (Two for the Dough, Three to get Deadly, etc.) These books make me laugh my tookus off, out loud, in public. Enough that random strangers want to know what I'm reading.

Another hilarious writer - and probably my all time favorite- is Terry Pratchet. I don't care which book it is, its hilarious. Disc World is the planet, and Ankh Morpork is the place to be! Can I pick just one to review? No. Pick a book - any book - and read. You can start anywhere or here. Terry has books for young adults in the DiscWorld series that are good enough for adults too. He's good. That's an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment